Escence

I have been participating in the weekly challenge presented by Laura on her I Am The Diva Zentangle-centric blog for a few weeks now. This week I submitted my entry of my posted Backbone ZIA through Waft, Three Ways. I appreciate all of the great (really great) comments, some of which inspired more tangling. Now I have a second submission for this week.

To refresh your memory, this week’s theme from The Diva is The Diva’s Weekly Challenge #156: “Curvy Gridlock” and is Laura’s answer to a participant who wrote that she can’t draw a straight line.

The Diva throws straight lines out the window and I did as well, in my latest drawing, as I focused on bending my grid-based patterns to conform to their containers. I call the result Escence, intentionally misspelled as in fluorescence rather than as in essence because of the highlights I added with three Crayola Twistables fluorescent pencils.

The images below were shot under black light. Unlike this week’s earlier monotangle, this piece is rich with a variety of patterns on my usual 8-1/2″ x 11″ sketch paper. I usually only tangle a portion of the page, but Escence pushes past any margins to the absolute edges of the page.

Escence

Black light capture of my ZIA, Escence. Click the image to view larger image. (Must see to appreciate.)



I am super happy with the outcome. What do you think?

Waft, Three Ways

Short but sweet today…

The Diva’s Weekly Challenge #156: “Curvy Gridlock”.  Today’s theme is Laura’s answer to a participant who wrote that she can’t draw a straight line. The Diva throws straight lines out the window.

My response, Backbone,  monotangles the Waft pattern three different ways onto a geometrically curvy string of my own creation. The string itself kinda resembles the interlocking vertebrae of a spine,  thus the title of my tangle. I thought the wavy pattern was an interesting contrast to the sure-straight ideal backbone condition.

image

Submission for The Diva's Weekly Challenge #156: "Curvy Gridlock"

I am happy, I think, with the outcome. What do you think?

Whitespace, Architecturally Inspired Zen

The Diva has presented another weekly challenge, and this one is right up my alley!

I have been a huge admirer of Frank Lloyd Wright, architect (1867-1959), and Piet Mondrian, artist (1872-1944), for as long as I have been able to appreciate architecture and art. The brilliance of both men is evident in the simplicity and beauty of their works. If any two men are responsible for any artistic ambition I have ever had, I would say that these men are those two. I could go on about my admiration of these men, but I am afraid I would fail miserably, understating the significance of their contributions to each of their respective fields.

As something like a tribute to these men, I have been thinking about recreating some of their abstract designs for use as strings for my Zentangle-inspired creations. (I have already created one or two ZIAs using strings inspired by abstract art from the 1920s and 30s). The moment I read this week’s challenge, I knew that I would be incorporating Neoplasticism, Art Nouveau, Prairie or what has become commonly referred to as Art Deco style into the string, as each style lends itself freely to the concept of whitespace, which is this week’s challenge:

Try leaving a big open white space in your piece this week! (sic)

You would think that with all of the fanfare over the works of Wright and Mondrian in this post I might have the decency to create a string from the works of one of these two men, but that would actually make sense, so I didn’t do that. My string for this challenge submission is derived from a stained glass window inspired by the window designs of Frank Lloyd Wright and adapted to accommodate a touch of ZIA with an abundance of whitespace.

Having said that, I suppose the only thing left is to reveal my response to the challenge… So, here it is: Wrightspace

image

The Diva's Weekly Challenge #155

The window design from which I created my string features the primary colors red, yellow and blue plus the secondary color green. I would have liked to have imitated the exact color placement in my tangles, but I wasn’t able to find a suitable yellow (one that would display the tangles in bold, vivid color), so I substituted the secondary color violet for the model’s yellow. I created a single instance of select tangles in the small areas of the string using pens in colors corresponding to the solidly colored in areas of the model image. (Where the model design shows a solid red square I created a singular red tangle. So on for blue, etc..) For the larger areas I repeated tangles to create patterns, in corresponding colors, using the same scale as the small areas.

So… What do you think of it?

Be My Valentangle

I realize that I probably should have expected The Diva’s Weekly Challenge  to have a Valentine theme this week, but I had so much anticipation for the announcement that I didn’t even consider the obvious.

I don’t create many pieces featuring hearts. I don’t have anything against heart art; hearts just don’t organically manifest in my art very often. The Valentine’s Day theme, therefore, this week’s challenge lived up to the title for me. I played with several ideas before I came up with this one.

image

I was a little concerned about the minimal pattern integration, but My Sweetheart likes it and that’s good enough for me, but I hope you like it, too. If you do like it, please use the social sharing buttons below to like, pin, tweet or otherwise share “Valentangle” with your networks.